Last update: October 8, 2015
SRLN is a project of The New Venture Fund, a 501(c)(3) public charity (“NVF”) and srln.org is the website of the Self-Represented Litigation Network (“SRLN,” “we,” or “us”).
This Policy is designed to help you understand generally how SRLN, including through our site, srln.org, collects personally identifying information about you and how SRLN uses and discloses that personal information. This Policy applies to information that personally identifies you (other than publicly available information) ("personal information") collected on SRLN sites, as well as other information you provide to us.
1. Information We Collect That You Do Not Provide
Sometimes we collect information without you having to enter any information on SRLN sites. For example, we may receive personal information from public sources or from third parties (which we may combine with other information from other sources).
2. Information We Collect That You Do Provide
It is always your choice, or the choice of anyone acting for you, whether to provide personal information. However, some must be provided to participate in certain programs or activities (such as to register for an account), so the decision not to provide information might limit or eliminate certain functions of SRLN sites or the ability to participate. Other information is up to your good judgment, e.g., do not provide personal information about yourself that could be misused by others in a chat room, bulletin board, blog or similar forum and do not provide personal information about others without their permission. The kinds of personal information we tend to request about you includes, but is not limited to, your name, email address, native language, organization name, job title, city, state / province, region, age, locations for internet access and devices used.
3. Do Not Provide Information About Others
By submitting any personal information about others, you represent and warrant that you are authorized to do so and that you did all of the foregoing before submitting the information. If applicable law allows you to supply the information without doing the foregoing, you represent and warrant that you have abided by that law and that it allows us to receive and disclose the information under this Policy without any further action on our part. You agree to indemnify and hold us harmless against any claim or liability (including all costs, including reasonable attorney fees, and damages) arising out of or relating to your providing information about another person.
4. What We Generally Do with Personal Information Collected
In general, we use personal information we collect to pursue our mission and operations and to engage in the activity (and related activities) for which we collect it. Specifically, we may use your personal information to:
- to fulfill our obligations to you and to respond to any questions or requests;
- to contact you, for example, about issues and information that we believe may be of interest to you and to solicit Feedback;
- to comply with the law or a good faith belief that such action is necessary to conform with the requirements of law or to comply with legal process served on us;
- to provide to third parties as a result of any reorganization process;
- if you sign up for a blog, feed or newsletter, we may put you on our mailing list or even the list of a third party who we think has a similar or compatible mission or purpose.
You should assume that we will use all information for all lawful purposes. Subject to applicable law, we reserve the right to make all lawful, worldwide uses of personal information, including without limitation, to: collect, use, access (or bar access), process, fulfill, disclose, display, share, respond to legal process or otherwise exercise our rights under applicable law, transfer, store, verify, enforce, delete, and otherwise deal with personal information, and information other than personal information (collectively "Disclose").
5. Your Ability to Update Personal Information
To the extent our systems require your personal information, in general, they provide the ability for you to update your information. If you have any questions about what personal information about you SRLN retains, please contact:
If your personal information has changed, you are responsible for updating your information through your user profile.
We keep personal information for as long as we think is necessary or advisable and we reserve the right to retain it to the full extent not prohibited by law. We may discard personal information at any time, in our sole discretion, so you should retain your own records, and not rely upon our storage of any personal information or other data.
6. Information Security
We use reasonable technical and organizational measures to protect the personal information received from our users from unauthorized use or disclosure.
7. Your Particular Consents
- Consent to International Transfer and Disclosure of Personal Information. We are involved in programs and activities in a variety of countries. You agree that SRLN and those with whom we share personal information ("Recipients") may Disclose and transfer your personal information worldwide (including outside the European Economic Area, if you are based in the European Economic Area) for any purpose relating to our or their mission, operations, programs, or otherwise that is not allowed or prohibited by this Policy.
- Consent to Electronic Notice If There is a Security Breach: If we or a Recipient is required to provide notice of unauthorized access or other invasion of certain security systems, you agree that we (or they) may do so when required (or voluntarily) by posting notice on our Site or sending notice to any email address we have for you, in our (or their) good faith discretion. You agree that notice to you will count as notice to others for whom you are acting, and agree to pass the notice on to them.
We do not want to collect information from children. Do not provide any personal information unless you are at least 13 years of age, and please caution your children not to provide any. If a child under 13 has provided personal information, a parent or guardian may so inform us by writing us at Our Address for Legal Notices (see below) and we will use commercially reasonable efforts to delete it from our database, subject to applicable law and this Policy.
9. Identity Theft
If anyone believes they're a victim of identity theft entitled by law to request information from us, write us at Our Address For Legal Notices and we'll explain what information we require in order to respond. After receiving that information, we’ll supply (without charge) information we then have that we are legally required to provide (subject to applicable law and reserving all rights and defenses).
10. Information About Enforcement of Our Policy
Our Address for Legal Notices:
New Venture Fund
1201 Connecticut Ave NW #300
Washington, DC 20036